The Tufts Office of Sustainability seeks a Communications Specialist. Tufts Office of Sustainability serves as a resource, a catalyst, and an advocate for environmental sustainability at Tufts. The Office is supported by the university and works to:
Enhance Tufts’ reputation as a leader.
Ensure that Tufts’ sustainability efforts are comprehensive and focused on meaningful projects.
Identify, evaluate, and implement opportunities for sustainability leadership.
Promote the strength of Tufts sustainability efforts.
Measure Tufts’ progress toward commitments and regional goals.
Identify sustainability opportunities that may provide Tufts with significant benefit such as reduced risk, financial savings, and avoided problems/fines.
Integrate sustainability issues into research, scholarship and student life.
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for managing internal and external communications for the Office of Sustainability with the goal of promoting Tufts’ sustainability efforts to the university community and building a culture of environmental sustainability on campus. The responsibilities of this position include:
1. Utilize scientifically vetted communications for behavior change, such as Community Based Social Marketing.
2. Develop and implement communications and marketing projects and strategies, including design, content, and strategies for social media and the sustainability and recycling websites.
3. Develop, research and write high-quality outreach materials including reports, brochures, posters, flyers, prompts, emails, and other marketing materials for sustainability programs at Tufts.
4. Evaluate and report on the effectiveness of communications strategies and recommend changes or improvements.
5. Monitor a small marketing budget, provide guidance to other staff and students on communications matters, and coordinate with outside vendors and consultants.
6. Develop and implement a strategy to communicate Tufts’ progress toward its sustainability commitments and carbon neutrality.
7. Keep the sustainability and recycling & waste management-related messaging at Tufts on target and up-to-date.
8. Create marketing plans and editorial calendars.
Must have 3-5 years direct experience in communications, marketing and sustainability and BS/BA in communications, marketing, public relations, business or related communications and marketing field.