Do your part to help Tufts save energy!
Whether you’re a student, staff, or faculty member, please make sure your living space or office is prepared for the long break. Completing the steps listed below will not only help make the university more environmentally-friendly, it will give you a fresh start when you return for the spring semester.
Have a fantastic winter break and enjoy the holidays!
CLOSE and LOCK your windows and doors
Turn ALL lights and electronics off and unplug EVERYTHING – this includes appliances, computers, holiday lights, etc.
- Pull down window shades
EMPTY your refrigerator, TURN IT OFF, and then UNPLUG IT – PROP DOOR OPEN! (Remove all perishable items and allow at least 24 hours to defrost!)
Turn Radiator Valve TO ‘1’! (The valve is located on or near your radiator If you cannot access or don’t have a valve, just leave the radiator as it is.)
Make sure all faucets and showers are turned off. Report any drips or leaks.
Empty room of all perishable food items, wash any dishes, and take out the trash.
- Take home any items you might need over break. The halls are locked and alarmed during this period.
Those who have FISH – please TAKE them HOME with you
- Please remove Holiday decorations before you leave!
A friendly reminder from the Fire Marshal:
Halogen torchiere lamps and candles are SAFETY HAZARDS and are BANNED on campus. For more information on banned items, click here.
Faculty, Staff and non-residential students
- Turn off computers, monitors, printers, and other equipment that has screens or LED indicator lights (including equipment in office or kitchen areas)
- Turn off lights
- Close and lock windows
- If the heating thermostat in your area is accessible, turn it down to 60˚F. Remember, when you return, your work area may be colder than usual. Simply turn the thermostat up to a more comfortable setting.
- If you are using a supplementary space heater, turn it off
- Turn off radios, coffee machines, and fans
- Unplug cell phone, camera and other chargers
- Close fume hoods